Tuesday 24 March 2009

My Top 10

10 THINGS I’VE LEARNED

1. GREEN IS IN!
And it is here to stay! Sustainable Design could be THE biggest challenge designers are facing right now. We can contribute to this change by really being conscious of our designs, the materials we use, its purpose, and most important you should always ask yourself: Where is this going to end when it’s no longer wanted? This are just a few o the simple and basic things you can start with. I think the world really is in desperate need of a change and it starts with us! So get out of that chair and actually do something! And here are a couple of interesting sites that could be useful: The AIGA Center for Sustainable Design http://sustainability.aiga.org/, it is a site dedicated to providing designers with information about sustainable business practice, and will help you incorporate sustainable thinking into your professional life. Also, Project M http://www.projectmlab.com/ is an intensive summer program, made to inspire young designers, photographers, writers and creative people that the work they do can have a significant impact on the world. It’s good to know designers are taking actions in sustainable design, and it’s great to know they are doing it now! So I suggest that all of us do it, each in its own way, but do SOMETHING! Don’t just wait for others to do it!

2. RESEARCH IS IMPORTANT
I’ve learned that research is a crucial part for developing any project. I’m not saying that before coming here I didn’t research, it’s just I’ve learned new ways to do it, while being here. To look in the odd places, to use different resources and to write down ANYTHING that seem interesting or appeals to you…you never know how useful that could be. Also, researching something specific, I’ve found the most amazing websites that had nothing to do with my topic :P, I don’t know how this happens but I blame my short attention span, whatever it is, it really comes in handy: you get tons of new resources!

3. F-U-N
The minute you start taking things too seriously is the minute everything starts going wrong. I believe we are blessed to work in a profession where you can actually have fun and be spontaneous and creative! I’ve learned that the best designs are produced when you’re having fun! Also, RELAX, stress can only bring more stress and things just start going wrong. It’s one thing to work under pressure, and another to be stressed all the time, because you can’t think straight. And BTW I‘ve learned this the hard way! So relax yourself, don’t over think, don’t take yourself too seriously, and most important of all, have fun.

4. FAIL
Don’t be afraid to make mistakes! This is the only way you will truly learn. Finding a solution to problems and fixing mistakes is what makes you grow and really use your mind. It will definitely make you wiser! And I’ve learned that everyone makes mistakes, sometimes, and also, sometimes thing just go wrong. It doesn’t matter if you work by yourself or if you are part of a big studio; everyone fails and makes mistakes. The important thing here is to know how to fix them and to learn from them.

5. SHARE
Success is nothing if you can’t share it! I’ve learned it’s really important! Share your knowledge with your peers, with people who don’t know some things you might. Inspire people to change, to work, to create. Teach, talk, help! And, share with your community, GIVE BACK!

6. INSPIRATION!
I’ve always known you can’t (or at least I can’t) design without inspiration of some kind. But while being here I’ve learned to find inspiration in the weirdest places, or the places or things you’d never think of. Seriously! Now, I believe more than ever you have to keep an open mind, and let ideas flow into it without judging or over thinking where they are coming from. Do you really care? Just be thankful that they’ve landed in your brain. (But NEVER COPY inspire yourself from other people but don’t copy them.)

7. PLAY
This is exactly part of the fun I was telling you about! This semester I’ve learned to experiment and play with designs, with ideas and with type. Some interesting ideas have come from it, some very useful solutions as well. Creative thinking just gets bigger with experimentation, you know how it is, one thing leads to another, and when you realize it you have so many ideas you don’t know which to choose. So don’t be afraid to play and experiment, really, don’t take yourself so seriously!! :) (I have to keep repeating this to myself)

8. PROCESS
As life, design is a process. Of course I already knew this, but what I’ve learned is to document it, to demonstrate it visually. It is a great way to see how you’ve improved, how you’ve developed and idea, your process of thinking. Not just in design, but in life, I think its important to have records of what you do, things that are happening in your life and people that are in it or maybe now are out of it, because we learn from everything, and that makes us who we are at the present. One of my favourite songs has a part that says “I know sometimes I look back, but it’s just to know where I’m coming from” This is exactly what a design process is!

9. SELF CONFIDENCE & ETHICS
“I’m a good designer, I’m a good designer!” no wait “I’m a great designer!” just repeat that to yourself, without being arrogant! When self-doubt appears things just go wrong. I’ve learned you shouldn’t doubt yourself so much! And remember your ethics while doing your job, I think this will make you not only a better person but a better designer, and have a clear conscience, which is always good!

10. MOVIES!
In Critical Debates I’ve learned or lets just say I’ve proved my theory that you will gain a lot by watching movies and tv. You will learn new things, not only about your own career, but of the world, art, people, the possibilities are endless. This will give you a better understanding of what is happening around you. Use this knowledge wisely! And, WATCH MORE TV!! :P



No comments: